Class of the Month: 1989
Every month we will recognize a featured class online, highlighting the accomplishments and catching up with where they are now.
- The Class of 1989 will celebrated their 25th Reunion this fall! Share your class and reunion photos using hashtag #usafa1989 on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
- What They've Done: 11 General Officers,
15 CEO/VPs, 12 Medical or Legal, 81 Airline Professionals, an astronaut, and a head coach for Air Force football.
- Giving Back: 481 AOG Members,
9 Sabre Society Members
over $830K Lifetime Giving
The Class of 1989 has established a memorial to Kevin Shea, a '89 grad killed in combat in Iraq, September 2004, along the Heritage Trail near Doolittle Hall that emphasizes valor.
Air Force Academy Head Football Coach - Troy Calhoun, '89
Jabara Award Winners:
Class of 1989 Links
- Class History
- Richard Lewis, '89, is founder & CEO of RTL-Networks and is highlighted for excellence in business at the Falcon Center Heritage Exhibit in Fairchild Hall.
- Astronaut Terry Virts, '89, served as the pilot on space shuttle Endeavour.
- Scott Kirby, '89, is president of American Airlines. Previously, Kirby served as president of US Airways, where he oversaw the airline's operations, including flight operations, safety and regulatory compliance, maintenance, inflight services, airport customer service and reservations. Kirby also oversaw the airline's sales, marketing, alliances, pricing/yield management and scheduling.
If you would like your class to be highlighted as the Class of the Month in the future, send us an email with class news or projects that you'd like to have showcased.
People have asked "How do you choose the class of the month?", and your class involvement with the AOG and USAFA Endowment really helps determine what projects we feature at a given time. Grads in the news can also impact what class content gets showcased from month to month.